June 22, 2012

Marker Painting

This week's Hambo Hoedown challenge is to use a technique from Splitcoast Stampers.  After trying to make a pull tab flip card and failing horribly, I decided to try something else.  I've heard of watercolor crayons and watercolor pencils before, but I'd never heard of watercoloring with markers.  Splitcoast Stampers explains that using water based markers and an aquapainter or brush, you can make a watercolor look on stamped images.  It actually works!

Cardstock-Provo Craft, Image-Hambo Stamps, Sentiment-K&Co

I love watercolor painting.  It astounded me that the marker ink acted exactly the same as paint.  You can use the same techniques for this.  I really like the splotchy faded look that I painted on the pond and the grass.


I do have some tips if you are going to try this out.  Splitcoast Stampers recommends using watercolor paper.  Since the image I was using is a digi, I printed on really heavy cardstock since I didn't want to run watercolor paper through it.  It bubbled a lot when I got it wet, but it dried relatively flat.  If I do this again, I'll probably stick with the watercolor paper.  I'd also use a less detailed image.   This cute one is "Wee Henry Fishing" by Hambo Stamps, but it has lots of little details, and the colors bled a bit.  It also worked best to wet the section I was painting first and then added the marker.  Then I spread and blended the color with the brush.

Watercoloring with markers is a fun technique that I probably wouldn't have tried without this challenge.  But it's fun and freeing-definitely worth trying out.

Linking up:

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous card and I love your watercoloring. Thanks for joining the Creative Inspirations Paint challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your watercoloring looks amazing, Kaylee!!! So glad you tried a new technique, and end up loving it too!! Awesome job, and thanks for playing with us in the Hambo Hoedown Challenge!

    ReplyDelete